Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Taking the Gospel to North Africa and France

As you read the following post you will quickly realize that this is not David A. Quackenbos. It is however, his oldest son, David (or Chad) C. Quackenbos. My father has given me the opportunity to post on his blog today. I hope I can live up to the usual entries.

During my first week of summer in 2009 I went on a weeklong trip to Ecuador. I went on this trip because I was interested in seeing a new culture, eating exquisite foods, and helping out some kids. God had different plans. As the trip went on I saw firsthand the power of God, and by the third night I was completely shaken. The Lord dealt with me over the rest of the trip and since then I have felt the call to become a foreign missionary.

Throughout my senior year of high school, many things changed. I tried to take a more active role as a leader within my youth group. I also kept praying and seeking confirmation from those around me about this calling I felt. Those around me were very supportive and helped me realize that missions is where I need to be. Right now I am a freshman at Liberty University. When I arrived on campus in the fall I was immediately surrounded by a great group of guys. I have been given the amazing privilege of getting to learn from and be discipled by the leadership on the hall while also being able to pour into others through the ministry of being a Prayer Leader. My experience at LU has been one of exciting spiritual growth and maturity (though I still have a long way to go).

Since the summer of 2009 I have looked for more opportunities to go overseas. As I prayed about where to go a few things came to mind. First, I have recently read a few books which have laid the Muslim population of the world on my heart. Second, the only foreign language I know any of is French. I thought, ‘if there were a country (or countries) that was predominantly Muslim and also spoke French that would be perfect’. As I did research the area of North Africa came to mind.

Within the first few weeks here at Liberty there was a meeting held by Light Ministries (the global missions center on campus) in which they told us about all of the trips they are taking this year. Going into the meeting I knew what I was looking for, a trip to either France or North Africa. Sure enough, when I walked into the meeting there was a banner for a trip to North Africa and France. It was an answered prayer.

This trip will be from May 15th to June 2nd of 2011. The first week will be spent in a North African country being exposed to the Muslim culture. This first week will be essential for the rest of the trip. After the first week is over we will travel to southern France to help minister to Muslim, North African immigrants. We will be working with missionaries by distributing literature, helping with a kid’s camp, and prayer walking. I could not be more excited for the opportunity to share the gospel with these people.

I would like to invite you to be a part of the team through prayer and financial support. We have been asked to find at least ten people to commit to pray for the group. Through your prayers I hope to be able to better prepare for the trip both mentally and physically. To make this trip a reality I will need to raise $2700. I hope to be able to pay for much of the trip out of my own pocket. Please pray that God will provide the funds that I am unable to make through the support of friends and family. Thank you very much.

To donate: Go to www.luglobal.com. Click on "Light Ministries College Mission Trips" on the right hand side of the page, then on the next page click on "Donate." Again, the name is David C. Quackenbos. Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. David, I've been to Chiapas, Mexico twice, once as the mission director, and it changed my life as well. It's encouraging for you to share this and have a passion to go. I needed to read this just at the right time to keep a global perspective on things. You need to start up your own blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will certainly pray for your son and his group. Is there a place to make a financial contribution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.luglobal.com
    you can click on a button on the home page to donate. I apologize, that was supposed to be added on at the end of the post. My mistake, thank you for taking the time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad and I are very proud of you, Chad. We are excited about what God is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i echo mom's comments, chad. well-written entry, and the blog got a lot of hits today! i have updated the blog entry with the donation information at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture Chad!! Somehow, you look more like Dave in this picture whereas in other ones you look more like your mother.

    Joanie and I will certainly commit to being one of your 10 (or more) prayer partners! We love what you are doing and praise God for it!

    You have done a nice job on this blog post. So nice, in fact, that it would be good to hear from you again from time to time! May God continue to bless you at LU and in your missionary fund-raising!

    ReplyDelete