Monday, January 4, 2010

Beware of the “resolutionaries”

Well, let me start out by wishing everyone a very Happy New Year. I hope the holidays went well for all. I am very excited about 2010. I think it is going to be a stellar year (I already have a few surprises in mind for the blog). In fact, 2010 has gotten off to a fast start, as I have already set two personal records.

First, as of 2:00 P.M. on January 2nd, all of my outside Christmas lights were taken down, labeled, boxed, and back in storage. (I always label them and write myself a little note to remind myself how I put them up and what I need to buy for next year. Come December, when I reopen the box, I am always appreciative of myself for doing so.) This shatters my previous mark by at least several days. As a bona fide procrastinator, my lights are usually still up by the first full weekend after the holidays, and at times until MLK weekend. Of course at some point I unplug them to avoid the unspoken embarrassment from within the neighborhood. Worse yet, I admit that there have been years when bundled up strands of lights have sat in my garage for a few months before I finally rolled them up and put them away. But this year was a different story.

Second, on Saturday, my boys and I went to the local high school football field to kick some field goals, and I connected from thirty-eight yards, a personal record. My previous best was thirty. I was pretty happy, especially given that I have never formally played as kicker or punter on a team. Nor have I ever played soccer. You know, on television, a thirty-eight yard field goal looks pretty easy. These college and pro kickers normally make these field goals with no problem. But standing out there on a field, it looks kind of far away. I’ll be shooting for forty the next time out. Anyway, I think you will agree that the only possible interpretation of this success is that it is a harbinger of good things to come and indicative that 2010 will be a great year.

I will share my New Year’s resolutions with you soon. In the meantime, I wish you the best in keeping your resolutions. I do recommend, however, that you stay away from the gym for a few days. As you are no doubt aware, the Monday after the holidays is the most crowded day of the year in the workout room. This day is to fitness centers what the Sunday after Thanksgiving is to the nation’s highways. If your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight and work out more often, I think that is great—I would just suggest you start tomorrow, or even next week. On this day several years ago, while I was in the locker room unable to find space to change into my workout clothes, a co-worker warned me to “beware of the resolutionaries.” “Resolutionaries” was his term for those who crowd the gym for a week or so after the holidays, then you never see them again. So, I likewise say to you, beware of the resolutionaries. And don’t be one.

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. I got my lights down pretty quickly, too.
    I stopped making New Year's resolutions many years ago, realizing there was virtually no chance that I would keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Dave! I got the tree down but it is still on the front porch.

    38 yard field goal huh? Pretty nice. I would wager it is more difficult than it looks on tv. Like pretty much any sporting event, even that one in the winter olympics with brushes-whatever it is called.

    We usually set goals instead of make resolutions. But this year we did decide to quit drinking soda. Well first I decided to quit caffeine but then decided to throw soda in too. Missy jumped on the bandwagon to join me as we quit soda. I had been drinking a fair amount of caffeine in the way of Red Bull.

    Anyway, I look forward to your surprises and I think you are right. 2010 is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the bandwagon was there, so, why not? My reason for quitting soda is to avoid the evils of high fructose corn syrup. So, if I could find soda that does not contain this, then I could probably be persuaded to drink some. However, drinking said soda would just support my desire to drink more of it, and even with real sugar it is still just empty calories, for the most part. So, I will unlikely drink much in the way of "real sugar" soda.

    ReplyDelete