Friday, January 22, 2010

To improve, or not to improve, part 1

Over the past few years, I have run in about a half a dozen races. I do about one or two a year. Most have been 5k runs, and one was a 10k (the Richmond Monument 10k, a very fun experience). I was a runner and wrestler in high school, but after that, my days as an athlete were over. So any running I do now is merely for trying to keep in shape, and to have fun (if you want to read some interesting stories about a real-life amateur athlete, check out http://jimsoccernut.blogspot.com).

One thing I’ve noticed in the races that I’ve run is that my results have not really improved. It’s not a big deal to me, except for the brief period of time at the very end of the race, and for a few weeks thereafter. It is during those times when I think to myself, “I can run faster than this. I can improve my time. Next time I’m going to train harder, and longer. I’ll eat better. I may never reach my high school times, but I’m sure I can shave several minutes off of what I’m doing now.”

But alas, no improvement. Why not? Well, allow me to be brutally honest.

First of all, the initial surge of enthusiasm and increased dedication always wanes. On a few occasions, after a 5k race, I have continued “training” at an elevated level for a few weeks, but my eagerness fades away, usually after two or three weeks. If I could continue that increased level of effort, and continue building over time, there is no doubt in my mind that my performance in races would improve markedly.

Second, and related to the first (and remaining brutally honest), I don’t improve because improvement in my running times just isn’t a high enough priority in my life. And in the final analysis, I’m okay with that. Earlier in my adult life, I wanted to run a marathon someday. But now I’ve revised that goal, and I can honestly say that my goal is never to run one (very achievable, wouldn’t you say?). There are things in my life—family, teaching, church, studies, etc.—that tend to crowd out the time that it would take for me to make great strides in my running.

Third, if I take an honest look at the “training” that I do, it’s pretty underwhelming. I hit the treadmill at work twice a week. More than that is untenable with my current schedule. And while I try to watch what I eat, I’m not nearly as careful as I ought to be. I still indulge in lots of food that a “runner” should not eat, including way too much restaurant meals.

So, here’s the bottom line. I think I could improve my race results if I really wanted to—if I really put my mind to it. But I don’t do the things necessary to improve. Year after year, I run a race, have temporary good intentions, increase my dedication a little bit, and then slowly slip back to where I started. Running does not take a high enough priority in my life to do otherwise.

As a result, year after year, I get the same results.

Now, at this point you might be asking, “Dave, why are you telling us all this about your running? Surely you must be using this as an example to drive to some larger point, right?”

Well, if you asked this, you would be right. I’ll elaborate in “Part 2,” and end today’s entry with a “to be continued . . .”

3 comments:

  1. Juicy. Can't wait for the next chapter.

    I know how you feel. I don't know how some people do it. Our church organist stays pretty busy with his full time job and the music ministry in the church plus he has three active kids. But somehow he manages at least a few marathons every year. I am not sure how he pulls that off. My current rehab takes me 2+ hours each day and that includes 0 minutes of running.

    Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He manages his marathons well because his WIFE manages their life/family. I give her mucho credit.

    ReplyDelete