Monday, February 8, 2010

Febate (February 8th, pronounced “Feb-8”)

I was fortunate to be raised in a home where there was a lot of jocularity and good humor. I can remember a lot of good times that were really just based on everyone in my family acting nonsensically silly.

One such occasion happened on February 8th. I forget the year, though I am reasonably certain that it was in the early 1980s, when I was a teenager. Growing up in Pennsylvania, the beginning of February was always the time of the winter doldrums. I can remember battling through many snow storms right around this time of year. But even when there was no snow, there were always a lot of icy roads and very, very cold temperatures. And it seemed as though it would never end. Spring seemed so distant.

So, one year, my father designated February 8th as the mid-point of winter. I’m not sure how he calculated it, but he asserted that “Febate” was the date when the winter was at its deepest, darkest, and drabbest. (Maybe it is the midpoint between the first day of winter and first day of spring?)

To “celebrate” Febate, he composed a limerick commemorating the day, lamenting the cold weather and the insurmountable journey back to warm weather, and put it on the refrigerator for all of us to see.

My first reaction to the poem was that it was cute, and that it was just another one of Dad’s silly shenanigans. Much to my surprise, though, one of my sisters responded in kind with a limerick of her own, and displayed it on the fridge. Then one of my other sisters wrote one. At some point I joined in also, and we ended up with a group of poems on the refrigerator, all commemorating this self-manufactured day of observance. The tradition continued for a year or two as I recall, but faded as all of us kids (four in my family, three sisters and me) went to college.

When I think of our Febate poems, my thoughts go to a bigger question. That is, I wish I had saved more stuff from my childhood. I don’t think we still have any of the Febate poems (if we do, and my family wants to post any of them, that would be wonderful). But whether it was poems, or pictures, or cassette tapes, I occasionally will have a memory and think, “I wish I still had that.” Not that I don’t have some memorabilia from my childhood—I do. But if I had known that I would have these thoughts in my forties, I would have saved a whole lot more of that stuff.

But I am thankful for keepsakes that I did save, and more so for the good times and the good memories. And, I have been surprised as an adult to find out that some “stuff” that I wish I had saved has in fact been kept by my parents or sisters. As a quick example, one of my brothers-in-law recently told me that someone in the family has a cassette recording of me as an eight-year old, doing a mock play-by-play of a hockey game. I’ve got to get to the bottom of that one. That would certainly be a cherished personal artifact, and maybe it’s not too late to get it transferred to compact disc for further preservation.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy Febate today, and with all of the monster snow storms this year, I hope we head into warmer weather sooner rather than later.

9 comments:

  1. Here’s one from Jim last year:

    “Febate is upon us and as I awake
    A glimpse at the weather I take
    It is already 54 and going to climb more
    OK, I admit it, so far this poem is a bore

    While it is “deepo” in Richmond there is no snow
    In fact it is so warm with shorts outside I go
    I will ride my bike and sweat a whole lot
    In fact after 35 miles, it will seem a little hot”

    My favorite is from Missy in 2001:

    “What we usually take as a given
    Is that winter is cold and snow-driven
    The “Deep-O” it’s not
    For in Richmond it’s hot
    A pleasant 62, this is livin’”

    And one from Vicki way back in 1988:

    “Although we’re still into the “Deep-O
    Already it’s past Febate
    Time to awake from our restful sleep
    Welcome spring and celebrate”

    And lastly Diane from 2009:

    “Today is Febate and to hockey we go
    Out the door at 6 AM with kids in tow
    Lost the game and back by noon
    It’s 56 degrees, snow will be gone soon

    Washed the dog, cleaned the car
    Took a walk but not too far!
    Today a break from winter we take
    But it won’t be long till the next snowflake”

    Sorry I don’t have one from you. I must say I have a poetic family, perhaps not up to Robert Frost quality, but , eh.., certainly willing to get into the spirit of deep winter commentary!!

    LOVE YOUR NEW LOOK!! I’ll have to explore around later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dad--this is priceless! thanks for sharing these. i had no idea that the family was keeping up with the febate tradition! i loved reading all of them. i guess we do have a poetic family of sorts. sometime on a slow blog day, if i'm brave, i'll post a poem or two that i have written.

    also, for readers: i forgot about "deepo." that is a term that is short for "the deep of winter," or "the deep o' winter" . . . get it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay -- i couldn't help it . . . i just made an additional febate post on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With just under 2 hours left on Febate, I will try my hand again.

    Febate rears it's ugly head again.
    This year in Richmond, we just can't win.

    We've had snow, sleet, rain and ice.
    It's getting kind of old, really not so nice.

    I am eager for the sun to dry up the snow.
    So mountain biking we can all go.

    With ice on my knees and a hat on my head.
    I write my silly poem when I should go to bed.

    But before I do, I pay my tribute to you.
    Thanks Quackenboses for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And another silly short one.

    Cold, dark, wet, and nasty
    Deepo is here.
    Spring could not come any fasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a song that goes something like,

    Deo, Deeeee O. If I knew it, I would write a parody and substitute Deepo for Deo. Do you guys know what song I am talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here I've been saying "fee-bate" all this time. Woe is me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, and it's Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) by Harry Bellafonte.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim----I'm impressed! You're really into this "Deep-O" nonsense (but FUN nonsense)!

    Both you and Dave did some pretty fair rhyming for your 2010 entries!!

    Hope the PT is still going well!

    ReplyDelete