Monday, March 22, 2010

I’m a real “why guy,” and here’s why

Do you remember the movie “I Spy,” starring Owen Wilson and Eddie Murphy? It came out about seven years ago. Wilson plays a spy on a special mission in Europe, trying to recover a stolen stealth aircraft. Murphy, playing a professional boxer (the middleweight champion, in fact) is asked to go under cover and stage a fight in Budapest in order to help catch the bad guys. It’s all done in the name of national security.

There is a scene in the movie where Wilson’s character is trying to convince the tentative boxer-turned-spy (Murphy) that the President was right in asking him to be a part of such a dangerous mission. Wilson inspires Murphy by telling him, “You know what you are? You are a ‘why not’ guy, not a ‘why guy.’” He explains that a “why guy” is always asking why, always asking permission. A “why guy” can never make a decision. A “why guy” is always afraid that he is going to get in trouble. As a result, “why guys” are not very assertive or brave, and ultimately do not lead very adventurous or satisfying lives.

This is not so for a “why not” guy like Murphy. A “why not” guy isn’t afraid to take a risk, roll the dice, live on the edge. A “why not” guy doesn’t have to feel bound by the rules. He goes for the gusto. He lives an exciting life. When faced with the question of whether or not to embark on a questionable venture, he tells himself, “Why not?”

On many occasions I have found myself pondering this particular interchange from this particular movie. The reason for this is that I have always considered myself a “why guy,” and this scene certainly paints “why guys” in an unflattering light. What brought the issue to my mind most recently is my previous blog entry concerning pet peeves. If you recall, I told you that I am the type of person who tends to have a lot of pet peeves. I’m not always proud of it, but I do. Sometimes I actually get a bit peeved that I have so many peeves. Maddening.

I got to thinking, why do I have so many pet peeves? I believe that when it comes right down to it, the main reason is because I am a “why guy.” I always find myself asking “Why?” (like asking why I have so many pet peeves . . .) I find myself contemplating why people do the things they do, say the things they say, and act the way they act. Deep down inside, I am curious as to why people are the way they are, especially when I observe how often people (and I include myself) don’t behave in ways that make sense.

If you read my blog, you know that the “why” question is part of my shtick. Why, in the 21st century, do we still say “Bless you” when someone sneezes? Why do we have all sorts of new knowledge these days, like the Southern Ocean and the fourth state of matter? Why do we feel the need to comment when we walk past someone carrying donuts?

Yes, being a “why guy” can drive me crazy sometimes. And I admit it has its dangers. It has the potential to impede timely decision-making. It has the potential to come across as whining, complaining, or being judgmental. And it certainly isn’t sexy, at least in the eyes of the world. How does a “why guy” take the bull by the horns, go for the gusto, etc., etc.?

Here’s my response: Despite the potential pitfalls, of which I am quite aware, being a “why guy” goes right to the very core of my personal life philosophy—a philosophy governed by my Christian faith. You see, I believe that the ultimate reason we are here on earth is to worship God and give glory to Him . . . in everything that we do. Everything. And if that’s the case, I need to approach every situation, from the most significant aspects of my life down to the minutest detail, with that in mind. Thus, in every situation, I should ask the question “Why?”—as in, does this make sense in the context of my lifelong goal to please and glorify God in all things? If it doesn’t make sense, then I am, in a very real sense, wasting my time. It might look like I’m sucking the marrow out of life, throwing caution to the wind, living on the edge, or however you want to express it, but in reality I’m just wasting time. And our days here on earth are too short to be wasting any time. I ask “why” precisely because I don’t want to waste time, but rather, I want every moment to be filled with the excitement that comes from living with a purpose. That is the path to "living with gusto,” as our culture puts it.

Thus I disagree with the “why not” approach, even though it seems so attractive. Some of the reasons not to be a “why not” guy are obvious. A “why not” guy is less concerned (or not concerned at all) with the morality and ethics associated with his actions, or the consequences of his choices, or how an action might hurt someone else. But my biggest objection to the “why not” guy is that although he appears to be living life to the fullest, he is actually wasting time by not considering how his decisions connect to the overall purpose of his life. For me, it is clear that that purpose is properly derived from a relationship with God.

As I pursue what God has called me to do, particularly in the area of my profession, I feel an immense freedom, vitality, and satisfaction. And, one of the reasons for this, I believe, is because I have sincerely tried to ask the question “Why?” Why do I do, think, and act the way I do in every situation, and is it directed to the end of glorifying God?

You can safely assume that because I am not perfect, I mess up every day in this regard. But, as a result of this life philosophy, I am convinced that I am not wasting a lot of time in my life, and that my life has meaning and purpose. I’m not a super spy. I’m not Jack Bauer. But this “why guy” has a passion in life and a fire to do what God has called him to do. And I’ll tell you, nary a day goes by where I don’t feel the rush of exhilaration one gets after riding a roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment