Friday, March 5, 2010

(Really bad) historical jokes

No profound thoughts today on the way to work. I did get to thinking, though, that it’s going on six months since I started this blog. I wasn’t so sure I’d keep blogging for this long, but alas, here I am. So, let me take a second to send out a sincere and hearty “Thanks!” to everyone who reads my blog. Your interest and response, be it by way of posting comments, emails, or personal contact, is both kind and encouraging.

That said, today’s entry is some light fare. Some of these admittedly (very) bad jokes have been with me since high school. I thought it was high time to get them off of my chest. The questions appear first, and then the answers are below. If you want me to explain any of them, go ahead and leave a comment. And if you read these and feel that I’ve lost any shred of credibility that I otherwise might have earned, well, that’s the risk I take.

So . . . here you go. My attempt at “historical humor.”

1. What did the mathematics professor say when proposing a toast at the National Geometry Association banquet?

2. What did the American sailor say in 1807 when he woke up to find himself on a large, majestic ship of the British Royal Navy with splendidly high masts and brilliantly polished rails?

3. While taking her European history final exam essay, how did Nancy Sinatra describe the German U-Boat strategy in World War II?

4. Staying with “fictional final exams,” how did W.C. Fields explain George Washington’s feelings about having to spend a bitter cold winter at Valley Forge?

------------------------------------------------

Answer 1. “Here’s lookin’ at Eu, -clid.”


Answer 2. “I’m impressed!”


Answer 3. “Das Boot was made for walkin’. And that’s just what it will do. One of these days Das Boot is gonna walk all over you.”


Answer 4. Washington would have said, “On the whole, I’d rather be in Philadelphia.”

1 comment:

  1. I admit, they're pretty bad. That is, except #2. "I'm impressed". That's pretty cute and brought a real chuckle!

    ReplyDelete